Thursday, May 29, 2008

State Bird of Wisconsin

Do you know what the state bird of Wisconsin is? Most people would say the robin, which is correct...if you want to be technical about it. I'm going to argue however that for the next month or two the state bird of Wisconsin is the mosquito! I'm still healing from my mosquito encounter that took place 4 days ago. We went walking to our favorite trail in So. Brown County. The wind was strong and the bugs shouldn't be a problem, right? Well, we walked down into the lower, wooded and somewhat wet area of the trail. I was immediately swarmed by mosquitos. Since it was breezy, I thought they would let up, but no luck. Through the entire rest of our walk, the mosquitos were pelting at my arms and anywhere else they could get at (a bite on my scalp...seriously?!). It felt like I was walking through the rain as they came at me full force. I couldn't take it, I walked faster and faster to get out of my misery! Well, obviously, I got out alive - but not without the battle wounds. Dozens upon dozens of itchy mosquito bites. Somehow the dogs and Tim managed to get out without more than a bite or two. Such is my luck. Next time I go prepared...slathered in all natural bug repellent.

So, fair warning - it's offically Wisconsin state "bird" season....and these mosquitos aren't joking around! Good luck out there!

-L

No comments: