Thursday, July 24, 2008

How does your garden grow?

Well, I guess it's mid-summer already! I can't believe it, but our garden is proof! It officially looks "overgrown", and is producing very well! The green beans are coming along well! We've frenched, blanched, and frozen about 8 servings so far, with many many more to come! We also have 3 large zucchini that we will be cutting tonight and using a borrowed dehydrator to dehydrate them with. I read that if you dehydrate them and freeze them, they can then be eaten as "chips" (not sure I will really like that so much) or better yet, when you cook with them, they will absorb the liquid and regain original form (but cooked). I can think of many many yummy things to add zucchini to in winter: stews, slow cooked meals, soups, and baking with (zucchini bread and more!). Yum! We will also cut some of our zucchini to blanch and freeze. I read that you can also shred the zucchini and blanch and freeze it. This would be ideal for baking...since you need to shred it anyhow! Here are some pictures of what we've taken out of the garden.

    

Unfortunately we have some sort of grub thing eating the leaves of our broccoli. I heard that using soap, oil and water will get the pests off. Since we do not use any sort of chemical on our garden, I'm going to try our ecosafe dish soap mixed with water and oil and spray it on the leaves. Thankfully the grub hasn't eaten the broccoli itself, but I'm afraid it will go to that next. Yuk! I just hope it's not too late.  -L

No comments: