Sunday, October 12, 2008

Day Two - Minnesota Trip

Day Two (postdated) - The morning started out early with the dogs waking up. Of course, once they were up, I couldn’t fall back asleep! I feel that this is a sign of age…I don’t have the sleeping habits nearly like I used too. Seems like I’m more of an early riser now. I stayed up and put together breakfast. At the rental, we are supposed to have Wi-Fi, but no network is being found on the computer. The recipe for the breakfast casserole is on the internet, so without access I was doing it on a whim. I thought it turned out tasty, but I must have had the cook temperature not quite right because it took forever! We called the owner (who happens to live across the street) and she came down, but the Wi-Fi situation hasn’t been fixed yet. (I’ve post dated this blog.) Monday she’ll be calling the provider to see what can be done.

In the meantime we drove into Baxter and found a Starbucks where it said they had Wi-Fi. After ordering a drink we found out that we actually had to buy a gift card for a minimum of $5, register it with Starbucks, register it with AT&T and then we get 2hours of Wi-Fi at Starbucks free each day. After this whole ordeal, we found out that Culvers offers Wi-Fi for free. Damn! But, the good news is that I managed to get online and copy/paste the recipes I had planned from the net to a word .doc. It has been raining on an off all day so we decided to stop at the Tourism Center and pickup some tourist stuff.
  Then we visited an antique shop in Pillager. We didn’t find anything of interest to buy, but we did get a good story about the store. The owner saw me taking a picture of the outside and asked why. “For our vacation album.” She explained to me that we were standing in the oldest building in Pillager, built in the early 1900’s. Some of the shelving in it was original. It was interesting to think of the history of the building, and that some of the “antiques” she was selling may have been sold in that same store as new items. Today we lay low as the Packer game was on and it’s raining quite heavy now. Seems that the rain will keep up through tomorrow and then let up. Sounds like I might have the opportunity to read more of my book! Time to make dinner. –L

No comments: