Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sour Cream Apple Pie

One of my coworkers has too many apples on his hands so he brought in a large amount of HUGE Macintosh apples.  I brought a bunch home and dehydrated the majority of them, but still had a few left over.  I decided to make the following pie with what I happened to have on hand, it was good!  Below is the altered recipe. I lowered the sugar, used egg beaters, used whole wheat flour and more apples than the original recipe.  The altered recipe goes as follows:

Amish Sour Cream Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS

1 cup sour cream 

1 egg (I used egg beaters)

½ cup sugar

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

3-4 cups diced apples (your preference to peel or not peel)

1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust

CRUMB TOPPING

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

1 Beat sour cream and egg together.

2 Add flour, sugar, salt and vanilla.

3 Mix until smooth.

4 Stir in apples.

5 Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

6 Mix the crumb topping ingredients until crumbly.

7 Remove pie from oven and spread with crumb topping.

8 Bake 20 more minutes.

No comments: