Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Whatever happened to anti-litter campaigns?

I have a recollection of some anti-litter campaigns, maybe in the 80's?   Maybe some of you readers remember.  I specifically have this memory about  learning about cutting the plastic of six-pack beer or soda rings so that they six-pack rings don't get washed out to waterways and strangle birds and fish.  Seems like I haven't even seen those plastic six-pack rings in ages.  I also haven't seen many environmental campaigns as of late, including anything about not littering.  

Lately I feel like I've had this extra awareness about what littering does to the environment.  I have the benefit of working on the East River, where I watch fish, waterfowl, woodchucks, squirrels and some feral cats enjoy the environment.  However I wonder how much they are enjoying the environment since I also have watched plastic bags, balls, shoes, and a Labatt Blue cooler float up and down the river for the past year and a half since I've worked at my window.   At home, we live on the Fox River, where we've had deli containers, balls, styrofoam, toys, and other junk wash up on our shoreline.  Yesterday on the East River I saw a dead goose float by...maybe it was a natural death.  

Today, I was more disturbed.   I had a half day at work and I decided to take the dogs for a walk mid-afternoon down our road which parallels the Fox River.  About halfway through our walk I heard some fluttering from above.  I looked up and gasped.   I saw a bird's nest and hanging from the bird's nest was a blue jay, completely wrapped up on fishing line which was wrapped around it's head.  It was flapping it's wings, but couldn't go anywhere because it was  being strangled by the line.  I looked like a bird had made a nest in spring, partially with fishing line instead of grass.  The blue jay was by the nest and an unfortunate comedy of errors took place.  I didn't know what to do.  I'm not sure if somehow cutting it down would allow it to survive?  It was in a tree in someone's yard and they are people I don't know.  I continued on the walk just a little more and turned around to go home and call the village offices.  Upon calling the village, I explained the situation and she transferred me to the police department.  They said they would send someone out.  I'm not exactly sure what they ended up doing, but I did see the police drive by.    If some idiot wouldn't have littered fishing line behind, this situation never would have happened.  

In present time humans are littering in ways beyond the obvious.  An obvious way of littering is leaving your trash behind, or throwing something out the car window.  We can see the result of this.  Now, we even litter in ways we are unable to see (and have been for a long time).   We recently watched a PBS special about a nonprofit that treats sea lions and seals  that are left to die on the California coastline.  They have researched these animals that are coming in with similar problems like seizures and brain damage and have found that all that exhibit this behavior have a levels of an acid (that develops by chain reaction) which is essentially caused by fertilizer and sewage that flows into the ocean from area rivers, mostly along the shores where the seals lives.  It is just absurd that although fertilizers are clearly deemed as hazardous chemicals continue to be legal, consumed by people, and dumped all over the environment.  

I wonder what it will take for people to realize this planet is not invincible. For people to realize, this is not OUR planet...we share it will all kinds.    

2 comments:

Jen Smith said...

Funny, I used to think that anti litter campaigns were to cover up the fact that we do very little to decrease consumption. What we need in addition to a campaign is one promoting reduction of waste, period. Imagine if we could cut down on individually wrapping items etc? It is kind of sick if you go to eat fast food that not ONE thing is reusable, it is all trash.

Tim and Lisa Reitz said...

Amen, sister! Great point!