Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Saturday Surprise!

Today for whatever reason we were up and at 'em by 6:30.  This isn't very unlikely for me, but for Tim, he doesn't even get up this early on the weekdays!  So, we decided that we would run our errands in Appleton this morning rather than later today.  We went in town for breakfast and then quickly realized that retail doesn't usually open until 9 or later.  When we finished eating breakfast it was only 8:30.   We ended up having plenty of places to go, including groceries, new glasses for Tim, and searching for a handheld GPS unit so we can use it while we navigate our new property.  

We came back home, had a yummy lunch, and then I had plenty of grading to do for my teaching gig.  I worked for several hours and completed my tasks so we decided to take advantage of the sunny day and take the dogs for a walk in the neighborhood.  On our way in we grabbed the mail.   To our delight there was a package in the mailbox. Since most the mail we get is bills or junk, we were fascinated....who could it be from?  To our surprise it was from the previous owners of the property in Michigan!  We weren't expecting anything from them so it caught us off guard.  We couldn't wait to get inside and open it.  I quick got in, changed into my slippers and took of all my winter layers so I could open the package.  Tim was just poking along, yet making me wait until he was with me to open the package.

We opened the package and out came 3 books, a handwritten letter, and a magazine article.  2 of the books are about Isle Royale, a National Park which has ferry access from the Keweenaw Peninsula.  We can't wait to go explore the island once we have been up to the property several times, or when we move there!  The Magazine article was also about Isle Royale.  The 3rd book is the History of Jacobsville (where the property is).  I am so pumped to read this!  I am intrigued to learn more about the history of Jacobsville, and possibly someday more history about the original use/owners of the property.    The letter, shared a bit of insight about their love and memories of the property (for the last 30 years I believe).  She also wrote "p.s. the blueberries are great in August."  We suspected their MIGHT be blueberries on the property because of the back bog, but didn't know for sure.  We are excited to search out the blueberries!  Blueberries are one of my favorite berries (nothing tops Strawberries), and the leaves can be dried and used for a delicious, all-natural, hot tea.   Yum!  

We are so excited and feel so blessed to have this property.  We are looking forward to visiting it throughout the seasons, and eventually, making it our full time home!   Thank you to our new friends, for sharing your great books with us!  It was a brilliant surprise and we look forward to having more letters or e-mail between us!

-Lisa

No comments: