Sunday, December 28, 2008

Easy Turkey Chili


Yum, nothing says hearty-winter meal quite like chili!  Here is a tasty and easy recipe I use, making it in a crock pot, which cooks in the flavor, nice and slow.  This is a double batch.  We eat half over several days, and I freeze the other half.  It makes a great, easy meal for a party.  I've served this straight out of the crockpot at a party putting onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, and crackers on the side as a "build-your-own chili bar."  It was a real hit!

Here's what you need:
2 pounds ground turkey
4 (10.75 oz) cans tomato soup (or just purchase the BIG size, 55oz. which is usually cheaper and then I use the whole thing).
4 (15 oz) kidney beans, drained
2 (15 oz) black beans, drained
1 medium yellow onion
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 pinches ground black pepper 

As with all my cooking, I use organic with as many ingredients as I can.

1.)  Brown turkey in skillet until cooked evenly, drain.
2.) Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well.
3.) Cover and cook in the slower cooker on the 6 or 8 hour setting.

Serve with freshly shredded sharp or medium cheddar cheese, sour cream (or organic plain yogurt as a substitute),  and crackers.

The recipe also includes onion.  I like to brown the onion right before serving and add it in, mixing it up in the chili.  Or, you can simply cut it and serve it on the side to add on top, or cut and throw in the chili at the beginning, prior to slow cooking.

Enjoy!


No comments: