Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resolving to learn a craft

Have you made your New Year resolution, only to already fail it by day 7? I've never been much for resolutions. I feel like they are a good way to set yourself up for failure. I'm not sure if this is a negative, or realistic way to look at it! This year I am resolving something, but it's probably very different than most resolutions. This year I resolve to learn something new. I thought to myself that I would like to learn a craft. This really is stepping outside the box, because I don't really feel I'm very creative, and I have shown to myself that I am by no means a "natural" at crafts. After doing much research, I decided on 2 things. 1.) Get more familiar with the sewing machine and making useful things. Tim is so good at sewing (he may not be happy I just reported that here :) ). I just don't get it unless I think really really hard. On one of my holiday days off of work, I decided on whim to make a purse. There was a bit of trial and error, but I ended up making a cute small tote/purse. I was VERY happy with myself. Admittedly, I had to take a bit of advice from Tim. I don't want to be a master at sewing, I just want to understand the basics. I think I'm on my way. 2.) I decided I would like to learn to crochet. Like sewing, it is a practical and useful craft and not expensive to get into. I have officially learned 2 crochet stitches! Single crochet and double crochet, which seem to be the staples to crocheting. While learning the stitches, I made the obvious...a scarf! I have one thin scarf created with a single crochet and half of a scarf completed made with a double crochet. I am so eager to learn! I have two books that show the stiches, and I've found youtube to be a great help. There are many people who have posted their instructional videos of different crocheting stiches. It's just awesome! I hope that my practicing will lead to the ability to make useful items like hats, scarfs, mittens, socks, etc. Based on the research I've done on crocheting, I am amazed at the amount of things that can be made! Can't wait to make them!

Good luck to anyone who made resolutions. I hope that you will find yourself successful! Happy 2009 Everyone!

No comments: