Sunday, January 18, 2009

What I like about Winter

This past week it was VERY cold out.  Negative 30 - 40 with the wind chill, and just plain negative 20 without the windchill!  Everyone complained.  I agree, that is too darn cold!  But, in lieu of the miserable temperature, but I'm going to come up with some good things.  I complied this list in my head on the way to work because I was inspired by the great things I was seeing.  I take the "back way" to work which allows me to avoid the highway.  This is a great thing for my sanity and my safety!

Thing #1 that I like about winter:  Getting bundled up!  Winter is a time of comfort food and warmth.  I like getting bundled up with my hat and warm scarf and sweater, it makes me feel so cozy (regardless of how I feel when I actually get outside :))

Thing #2 that I like about winter: Wide and open sunrise!  The sun rises over the river, and it is just beautiful.  Since the leaves are off the trees, it really allows for the colors and beautiful display to be seen.   There is also a great spot on my drive into work that has a view of the sun rising up over the Niagara Escarpment.  In the forefront is a farm homestead, and then stretches of wide open field.

Thing #3 that I like about winter:  Since there is less vegetation, you see more wildlife!  The other day I was driving I saw 2 eagles over the river, a hawk swooping out of a tree, and a red fox trotting through a barren corn field.  It was magnificent!  Even though I was driving, I felt like a silent observer of nature.

Thing # 4 that I like about winter:  Relaxing!  Sometimes it's just too cold to be out and about, and when that's the case, curl up to a good book or watching a movie!  

I figure, why complain when this weather is what we'll be dealt.  Might as well find a way to enjoy it!  I look forward to it warming up a little so we can go snowshoeing again!

-L

No comments: